Mold in your home? Why you need mold removal and restoration

February 2, 2021 at 7:00 AM
Mold in your home? Why you need mold removal and restoration

Cities like Baltimore, MD that are situated next to a large body of water like Chesapeake Bay are incredibly humid. High humidity can make it difficult for areas of your home that receive regular moisture to properly dry, which can lead to mold colonies. If you have mold growing in your home, you need mold removal and restoration and the team at Green Clean Restoration can help. Keep reading to learn five reasons why you need to get rid of mold as soon as possible.

Mold ruins surfaces

Porous materials like wood are perfect surfaces for mold spores to take hold and start growing. The organic material of wood is an ideal food source for mold and it will grow quickly if conditions are right. Locations in your home that are dark and damp like under sinks and in bathrooms create the perfect growing conditions for mold.

As the mold grows in these locations, it will weaken the wood that’s used to build your home. This can lead to weakened floorboards, framing within walls, and cabinetry. Having mold removed is essential to ensuring that the structural integrity of your home remains strong.

Mold is a skin irritant

Individuals who are exposed to mold on their skin or have inhaled spores can have an allergic reaction. Signs of a reaction to mold exposure can include:

  • rash
  • stuffy nose
  • coughing
  • common allergy symptoms

If you’re experiencing chronic allergy symptoms even when typical allergens aren’t in season, you might have a mold problem in your home. Professional mold removal will ensure that you get back to feeling like your normal self again.

Mold can exacerbate medical conditions

In addition to skin irritation and allergies, mold can make your chronic medical conditions worse. If you already have a skin condition like plaque psoriasis or eczema, skin irritation from mold can make these conditions worse. Furthermore, mold spores that irritate the lungs of someone who has asthma can deal with chronic symptoms that make it difficult to breathe.

Mold is potentially toxic

Even beyond allergy symptoms and skin irritation, mold can be toxic to you and your family. Mold that has a strong, musty smell is the first sign that you have toxic mold growing in your home. This smell has been described as rotting leaves. Another big sign of toxic mold is the color and consistency. Stachybotrys chartarum, or black mold, is a common species of toxic mold that has a green-black color. This particular mold grows very well in the wood used to build homes.

Prolonged exposure to large amounts of black mold can lead to pulmonary hemorrhage, especially in young children. If you’re worried about black mold in your home, call Green Clean Restoration immediately so we can make your home a safe space once again.

Mold can hide

While it is possible for you to remove mold on your own, there’s a chance you might not be getting all of it. Mold can hide beyond what is visible to the naked eye. Especially if it has been growing for an extended period of time, mold can grow deep within your walls to produce large colonies. Proper mold removal sometimes requires getting into the structure of your walls or flooring. A full restoration of the area might be necessary to ensure complete removal.

Call to get rid of mold

Reach out to the team at Green Clean Restoration today if you’re worried that you have mold. Our team is highly trained and will not only get rid of the mold in your home but perform any restoration work that’s needed from the mold damage. Give us a call today at 410-961-6770 or send us a message using our contact form to get a free estimate.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Let's keep in touch!

Stay updated on our news and events! Sign up to receive our newsletter.